10/27/05

Missoula Transitions




Here's a few shot I've taken the last week or so around Missoula. Fall is such an active time. Weather constantly changes, shadows dramatically lengthen, trees change clothing colors than shed their clothes (you'd think they want to keep some clothes for the cold) and animals move towards winter habitats, whether a dirt bedroom or our next door neighbors in the hills. All prepare for the long, stagnant, cold that lies ahead. Get out the synthetics and the ice scraper. Switch from sandwiches to soup....

I personally don't care for fall. I can appreciate it but I don't care for it. The body needs to adjust to the light and cooling temperatures. I have an urge to eat and sleep constantly. Fall is a tease, a flirt, of the white giddiness soon to layer the land. Freshies. "Put out, already!" every bone screams. "Quite givin' me that pillow talk."

Transition times, like fall, are always hard. You never know what to expect and you're always saying goodbye to something. Some people don't like winter. It's long, dark and cold. But at least you know what to expect and it stays the same - long, cold and dark. I guess this is why I snowboard and tele. I have to do something to pass the time; otherwise, I would drink too much coffee and beer, smoke to many cigarettes, and sleep with all the wrong women. But the routine is set. Get up in the dark, put on the poly then the clothes, make some coffee and oatmeal, read the paper, take the dog for a quick, cold bike ride, and watch the sky get lighter as I head to where ever I'm going for the day...

No comments:

Post a Comment